Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

More Garter-Stitch Magic! On KUTV!


It's happened again! The Magical Garter-Stitch Scarf brought happiness and joy to the people of the world (and especially to me) yesterday when it appeared, in its super-bulky form, draped around the neck of the lovely KUTV 2News This Morning anchor Mary Nickles.


Are you an amazing knitter? How I love to see those words splashed across the TV screen. I love it because it really gets the point across that knitting is worth being amazing at, and that you can do it!

I showed Mary how to knit on size 35 needles, and she had a lot of fun with it.


Actually, now that I take a close look at this screenshot, I see that this is a Magical Meeting of the Garter-Stitch Scarves! I am shown here wearing the original Magical Misti Alpaca Scarf. Watch out, boys!


About Mary's scarf: I knitted this fun turquoise scarf in about three hours the night before (unfortunately for me it was the three hours between midnight and 3am!), using Thick 'n' Quick Merino by Euro Yarns, held double, on size 35 needles.


Materials:
Yarn: 280 yards of bulky yarn, held double (so: 140 yards of the doubled yarn)
Needles: US Size 35 needles
Finished Measurements: 4.5 inches wide by 7 feet long.
Instructions: CO 7 stitches. Knit every row for 7 feet. Bind off.
Finishing: Don't bother to weave in your ends! Let them blend with the fringe. For fringe: Cut 16 pieces of yarn, each 28 inches long. Using a crochet hook, attach 8 pieces of fringe to each end of scarf.

The amazingly over-the-top fringe is my favorite part of this scarf, because it really shows off the thick-and-thin texture of the yarn better than the rest of the scarf.


Speaking of thick-and-thin texture, I've got a wonderful design project coming up! I've teamed up with Camilla Emond of Magnolia Handspun to create an original design for her brand-new thick-and-thin handspun yarn.


This is so exciting, but when I saw the yarn she sent me, I thought, "Oh no! Thick-and-thin! What am I going to do with this?!" It takes a very simple and very clever pattern to show off yarn like this to its best advantage. What I did with the Thick 'n' Quick Merino for the TV appearance was truly an act of desperation, not good design. So for Magnolia Handspun, I've got to come up with something really special.

Do any of you, my lovely readers, have a favorite thick-and-thin pattern that you'd like to share? Please post a link in the comments!


A closer look at Magnolia Handspun. It's glittery!

5 comments:

  1. Liat!!!!So fun to see you in action, loveit!
    I can't believe 90 000- holy moley.
    (I'll be working on Ravelry this week, promise)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a pattern to offer. Too much focus on the sock world, I guess. Great column. Your excitement and enthusiasm come straight through the screen. Congratulations on a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIAT!!!!! So excited to see you!! I love the thick and thin yarn "now". My first spinning creation turned out that way "of course":) and it sat in my basket for awhile, then I started a scarf and frogged it, then decided that I would try vogue's seed stich hat and I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This scarf is beautiful!! and reads like it's soo easy to do....size 35 needles?? I have to search for those. I love thick and quick patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! Yep, you can get size 35 needles at Michaels or at your LYS. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete